I remember my very first suspender belt well. It was black (of course), made predominantly of lace, it had four very thin suspender straps and small gold coloured clips covered by ribbons.
It looked something like this:
While I was wearing this suspender belt, I spent a lot of time pulling up my stockings and the belt itself. It became quite frustrating to tell you the truth. I eventually gave up on this belt, and all other suspender belts until a few years ago.
As an ex-wearer of this style, I completely understand why women wear these suspender belts; if you are not in the know, it seems as though that is the only style available. It is near impossible to find a decent suspender belt in high street lingerie stores, and popular brands such as Victoria’s Secret are constantly shoved in our faces. Since the invention of tights or pantyhose, many women believe that stockings and suspender belts merely exist to be worn in the bedroom, only to be worn for very short periods of time. As such, most designs are flimsy and will not hold stockings up for very long at all.
When I buy a suspender belt, I always bear the following points in mind:
- A suspender belt should have a MINIMUM of six straps and clips
- Suspender clips should be made of metal, fabric backs/ tabs are a bonus
- Strap width should be between 2 and 3 centimetres wide
- The top of a suspender belt should sit on the natural waist, and not the hip
- The belt part of the suspender belt should be deep, by this I mean that it should cover from the waist down to at least the top of the pubic area
- Each strap should have a regulator, which will allow the wearer to lengthen or shorten the straps as required
- Although the main objective of suspender belts is not to provide shaping and control of the area it covers, it is still recommended to have some structure. Several panels of fabric will make the garment stronger and smooth your abdomen out a little
- The garment should not have spaces in the belt section, as this will create unsightly bulges of skin. This item for example would not be flattering on my body:
The below brands sell good suspender belts that I would happily wear and recommend.
Violet purple suspender belt
Green Liz suspender belt
Maitresse Nouveau suspender belt
Satine suspender belt
Cleopatra Capri 6-strap suspender belt
Cleopatra Rhodos 6-strap suspender belt
Stockings HQ black/grey/white floral powermesh 6-strap suspender belt
Ruffle Trim Garter Belt
Jennifer Garter Belt
Leopard Garter Belt
Deep V style garter belt wide suspender belt
Red lace retro garter belt
Lace suspender belt
8 strap suspender belts
Porte-jarretelles plumetis Cervin
Suspender belt vintage Chenonceau
Suspender belt Boetie
8, 10 and 12 strap suspender belts
B126 Suspender Belt